Evaluating a glass slice in cross-section to verify surface compression and mid-plane tension is a highly recommended QC practice.
Strainoptics offers two polarimeter systems designed for this application, the PS-100-MW Polarimeter and the DIAS-1600 Digital Image Analysis System.
PS-100-MW Polarimeter. Supplied with a 75mm high-intensity light source, a microscope and a measuring wedge assembly.
The DIAS-1600 Digital Stress Analyzer is a machine-vision, PC-based workstation for off-line stress inspection. Measurement results are reported for individual points, as graphs of stress vs. position along any line, or as full-field color-coded quantitative stress maps.
Use of the DIAS-1600 provides the following benefits:
- Quantitative retardation/birefringence or stress measurements in a user-friendly, menu-driven PC format
- Easy visual inspection, eliminating errors and decisions based on the user’s visual judgment
- Reproducible, accurate results
- Automatic calibration
The DIAS-1600 produces FAST inspection results!
Refractive Index Matching Fluid:
- Available in 4 oz (120 cc), 16 oz (473 cc), or 1 gal (3785 cc) sizes
- RI = 1.52 for use with float glass in immersion cells only – (For GASP use, specify RI = 1.54)
Click on this link for a PDF version of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS): MSDS-MIF.pdf